Link to Home Page Little River Community bell
 

Stained Glass Window
 

St Michaelís Little River Catholic community started in 1857, when Fr. Ranald Rankin was appointed resident priest by Melbourneís first Archbishop, James Goold. Fr. Ranald Rankin came out to Australia from Scotland on the Marco Polo in 1853.

At that time, the Parish extended as far as Anakie and Footscray and it was the only church between Williamstown and Geelong. Fr. Rankin built St. Michaelís Church from local bluestone. During the week the church was also used as a denominational school.

When Fr. Rankin died in February 1863, the parish was closed because of a shortage of priests. It was incorporated into the Geelong Mission.

In 1906 Archbishop Thomas Carr created the parish of St. Andrews Werribee which incorporated St. Michaelís Little River. The old bluestone church was demolished and the present one was built. It was blessed and opened by Archbishop Daniel Mannix on the 2nd of April 1922.

Mass is celebrated every 4th Sunday of the Month, except for January, everyone is welcome to come and join us in our celebration. There is always a cuppa and a biscuit after mass, so please come and share with us.

For any Weddings, Confirmations, First Communions and Baptisms, please contact the St. Andrew's Parish Office on Ph. 9741 4144. The contact person for St. Michael's is Maryanne Pernice.

There are many services available to help all types of needs in our Parish, just give the office a call and they will be able to help or point you in the right direction.

St. Michael's Church
Altar of St. Michaels Church, Little River

St. Michael's Church 150 Year Celebration Mass Congregation
Congregation at the 150year Celebration Mass
September 2007